The Cleveland Foundation Scholarships
Managed by College Now Greater Cleveland
Minimum GPA: 2.5
Location or High School: Ohio resident
Field of Study: Cleveland State College of Urban Affairs
Deadline: March 15th, 2023
Application Type: General App
Robert E. and Ada Hagan Public Service Scholarship
Purpose: This scholarship fund was established to provide scholarship support for students attending or accepted at Cleveland State University Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs pursuing a public service career.
Robert E. Hagan was deeply committed to public service. He was an outspoken critic of the Vietnam War, and he marched in civil rights protests and on union picket lines. He argued for a public employees’ collective bargaining bill and a nuclear freeze resolution.
Quoted in The Plain Dealer about his decision to run for the legislature at age 60, Mr. Hagan said, “I think that you and I during our lifetime have an obligation to make the world a little less painful and bring a little more dignity to human beings.”
• Attending or accepted at Cleveland State University Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs
• Ohio resident
• Registered voter with proof of status
• Degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate student
• Minimum 2.5 GPA
•Minimum course load of two courses
• Pursuing a career in public service
Two short essays on the following prompts:
• Comment on the significance of Robert E. Hagan's quote: "I think that you and I during our lifetime have an obligation to make the world a little less painful and bring a little more dignity to human beings."
• How do you intend to pursue a career in the public service?
Application Method: Submit a Cleveland Foundation Scholarships General Application here.
Selection Process: Selection decisions are based on completed application and requirements, demonstrated evidence of commitment to public service and community activities, and financial need.
Award Info: The annual award amount will be based on the performance of the fund and number of applicants selected. Awards will be for a minimum of $1,000. Formal notification of award will be made by College Now to the selected recipient(s). Awards will be paid directly to the institution and must be applied to tuition, fees, books, supplies, and/or equipment required for coursework.
Awarded Student Requirements:
1. Maintain full-time enrollment status (unless awarded for part-time)
2. Maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA
Renewal: Scholarship has historically been renewable for a maximum of 2 total years, provided the student meets the scholarship requirements and funding remains available.