The Cleveland Foundation Scholarships
Managed by College Now Greater Cleveland
Minimum GPA: 2.0
Location or High School: N/A
Field of Study: Music Education or Performance
Deadline: March 13, 2024
Application Type: Other
A. Grace Lee Mims Vocal Scholarship
Purpose: To provide scholarships for African American vocal students who are U.S. citizens and pursuing graduate-level study in vocal performance or music education, with an emphasis on voice. Candidates must be committed to preserving the art form of Negro spiritual singing as exemplified by Roland Hayes, Paul Robeson, Marian Anderson, Leontyne Price, Jessye Norman, Kathleen Battle, and others. The primary purpose of this award is to perpetuate the singing of the Negro spiritual through performance and/or teaching, so that this art form, created by African American slaves in the Diaspora, will remain alive.
Eligibility: Enrolled full time at an accredited nonprofit institution for graduate-level course work toward a master’s or doctoral degree in vocal performance or music education, with an emphasis on voice. Applicant must be committed to perpetuating the singing of the Negro spiritual through performance and/or teaching.
Application Method: In addition to submitting the A. Grace Lee Mims Scholarship application, applicants must submit the following:
• A copy of or link to a video recording of a recent performance (concert or recital)
• Two letters of recommendation from voice teachers or music professors attesting to the applicant’s musical talent, moral character, and dedication to the survival of the Negro spiritual
• Two music programs reflecting at least a two-year span and including the applicant’s performance of Negro spirituals
• A personal statement detailing, among other things, your interest in the Negro spiritual and how you plan to pursue its preservation
• Financial aid award from your institution with cost of attendance (including both direct and indirect expenses such as tuition, room and board, transportation, books, mandatory fees, and personal expenses)
• A detailed budget for your academic year’s educational expenses including scholarships, fellowships, grants, and loans
Submit an A. Grace Lee Mims Scholarship application here.
Selection Process: A committee comprised of musicians and persons who know Ms. Mims will select the scholarship recipient(s)
Award Info: The award amount will be based on the performance of the fund and number of applicants selected. Formal notification of award will be made by College Now to the selected recipient(s). Award must be applied to tuition, fees, books, supplies and/or equipment required for coursework.
Awarded Student Requirements:
1. Maintain full-time enrollment status
2. Maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA
Renewal: Students may reapply for this award and can be awarded for a maximum of 2 total years of support.